New Delhi, Jan 28: A five-year-old boy died after falling inside an open septic tank in his school in southwest Delhi’s Kapashera area on Wednesday afternoon.
The boy — Ankit Kumar, a student of Class 1 of MCD school number 2 — had reportedly gone to use the washroom after school hours around 12 pm when he accidentally slipped and fell inside the open septic tank.
Ankit reportedly was trapped inside the tank for over an hour before choking to death. Some students, who heard the boy’s scream for help, apparently raised an alarm but couldn’t do much as most of the staff, including teachers, had already left for the day.
Deputy commissioner of police (southwest) RA Sanjeev, said that the police had registered a case of negligence against the school authorities and had asked the principal to join the probe.
Sources said a few of the boy’s classmates tried to reach down and pull him out too, but failed. They then rushed inside the school building to seek help. “The students went and informed a security guard about the incident who called some sewage workers who were cleaning drains in the area,” a senior police officer said.